Sunday, January 20, 2008

Apricot Lambchops and Mushroom Orzo.

I've gotten in this really bad habit of not eating what I cook which is why there hasn't been a blog spot in a few days. I just get so tired of looking at whatever I'm cooking so by the end, I don't even want to taste it.

I decided to post this even though I didn't try to lambchops. Spencer said they were amazing and had no problem eating both of the lambchops that I made. I did try the orzo and I didn't like it at all. I think it could be good with a little doctoring but I doubt I try it again.

Photobucket


The lambchop recipe came from Cooking Light. I used two big lamchops instead of 8 but left the sauce the same because I didn't feel like dealing with it. The sauce ended up being just enough for the bigger chops.

The orzo recipe came from a lovely book called America's Favorite Brand Name Old-Fashioned Favorites. Oh yeah, it's one of those. You know... a bunch of brands get together and put out a cookbook so you'll use their product in the recipes. But I had really good luck with this book once so I figured I'd have another success.

No such luck. It was super bland. I ended up adding a ton of salt and pepper at the end just to make it edible. I must say that Spencer loved it and ate all the leftovers for lunch the next day. But he's a weirdo.

So that's my disclaimer on this recipe.

Mushroom Orzo
from America's Favorite Brand Name Old-Fashioned Favorites

2 tablespoons butter
1 clover garlic, minced
1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo
1 envelope Lipton Onion Soup Mix
3 1/4 cups water
6 ounces white mushrooms, sliced

In a 3-quart heavy saucepan, melt butter over medium heat and cook garlic with orzo, stirring constantly, 2 1/2 minutes or until golden. Stir in onion soup mix blended with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; do not stir. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Place in serving bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.

No comments: