Sunday, February 17, 2008

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo.

Photobucket


I've never had gumbo.

It's true. I live in Alabama, I have a very Cajun uncle (who I stayed with every summer), and I've never had gumbo. It's not that it hasn't been offered to me... I just don't like dishes with a lot of stuff in it. Plus I'm anti-seafood unless it's covered in batter and fried.

But gumbo just sounds so fun. Say it. Guuuumbbboooo. See? It's fun.

I turned to Cooking Light when I decided to make a gumbo and it turned out great. I didn't like it at first but after it sat overnight it was delicious.

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
adapted from Cooking Light

1/4 cup all-purpose flour (about 1 ounce)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 of an onion, diced
1/2 of a green bell pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
1 pound smoked sausage, cut into pieces
2 small cans diced tomatoes
4 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
3 cups hot cooked rice

Place flour in a large Dutch oven over medium heat; cook 20 minutes or until light brown, stirring constantly with a whisk. (If flour browns too fast, remove pan from heat; stir constantly until it cools down.) Remove flour from pan, and set aside.

Add oil to pan. Stir in onion and bell pepper; cook 10 minutes or until onion is tender, stirring frequently. Stir in garlic; cook 30 seconds. Remove onion mixture from pan; set aside.

Increase heat to medium-high; add sausage to pan. Cook 4 minutes; return onion mixture to pan and add chicken. Remove pan from heat. Sprinkle reserved flour over chicken mixture; stir well. Return pan to medium heat. Drain 1 can tomatoes; stir in 1 can drained tomatoes and 1 can undrained tomatoes. Cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth, Worcestershire, and bay leaves; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves. Stir in salt, black pepper, and hot sauce. Serve over rice.

No comments: