Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars

I finally got around to baking tonight. I've been so busy the past few weeks that I'm lucky if I'm able to get dinner on the table by the time the husband comes home. But tonight I found myself with nothing to do. Amazing! Unfortunately the pantry is looking pretty bare these days and groceries don't happen until Thursday. So I got out my trusty America's Favorite Brand Name Old-Fashioned Favorites (sounds lame, I know, but it has great recipes!) and searched for something sweet that didn't call for anything too complicated. And I discovered these bad boys:





Chocolate Pecan Pie Bars

1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons plus 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar, divided
1/2 cup cold butter
2 eggs
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 350.

In a large bowl, stir together flour and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. With pastry blender, cut in 1/2 cup butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; press onto bottom and about 1 inch up sides of ungreased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until set. Remove from oven. With back of spoon, lightly press crust into corner and against sides of pan.

In small bowl, lightly beat eggs, corn syrup, remaining 1/2 cup brown sugar, cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons butter, vanilla, and salt until well blended. Stir in pecans. Pour mixture over warm crust. Continue baking 25 minutes or until pecan filling is set. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into bars.

It was a HUGE hit with my husband. Lately he hasn't been eating much since he works in the heat all day so I've thrown away most of every dessert I've made, but he had two bars of this as soon as it came out of the oven!

I was out of vanilla so I just ommitted it and I don't even miss it. The husband wouldn't have known had I not told him. I did end up baking it for almost 40 minutes but I think that's my oven's fault. It enjoys complicating my life.

These are a definite thumbs up and they are going into my keeper file! Enjoy!

No comments: