Thursday, October 18, 2007

Ribollita con Verdue

I have a love/hate relationship with Rachael Ray. I buy her magazine every month, I watch her talkshow every morning at 9 am, I'll even watch 30 Minute Meals occassionally. But I hate her recipes. I don't want to put poblano peppers in my chocolate chips cookies, thanks. Okay, well maybe she hasn't done that (yet) but I can't handle all the spicy, pickled, and otherwise weird things that she makes. And yet, I continue to make her food.

I saw her making Ribollita con Verdue one afternoon as I was running out the door and was immediately in love with the idea of throwing half a loaf of stale bread into a soup as a thickener. Plus kale! And beans! Seriously.. it sounded like heaven. But it was a Rachael recipe so I should've known better.

I'll admit it was pretty tasty. Even the husband liked it. But my bread didn't all melt into the soup. So I had quite a few pieces of soggy bread floating around even after I took a wooden spoon and tried to squish all of them. But like I said, it was good. And I've actually been eating the leftovers for breakfast the past few days.


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Ribollita con Verdue
(from the lovable, hugable Rachael Ray)

4 pieces of pancetta
3 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
onion, diced
2 carrots, chopped
zucchini, chopped
salt and pepper
1/2 cup wine (I used balsamic vinegar)
15 ounce can petite diced tomatoes
6 cups of beef broth
4 cups of stale french bread
2 cans of small white beans (or cannelini)
4 cups of kale, chopped

Saute pancetta in olive oil for about 4 minutes. Add garlic, onion, carrots, and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper. Let soften. Deglaze with wine. Stir in tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil and then drop to a simmer. Add bread and beans. Pile kale into pot and simmer 5 to 10 minutes. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil, raw onions, and parmesan on top.

No comments: